Sandford and Upper Avondale Community Council

Sandford Hall Committee

The Sandford Village Hall, originally built in 1928 as a Bowling Hall by a committee set up for the purpose is now a well used Community Facility.

A brief History of the Hall published in 2005, illustrates the progress of the fund raising by the community, starting with a subscription list. Within four month of the proposal to build the hall, sufficient funds had been raised to meet the lowest bid of £114.12.6d from Messers J Paterson & Son.

With the aid of a lottery grant of £63,626 the hall was completely refurbished and reopened in September 2001. The bowlers had previously used the school house premises at what is now Sandford House, but the terms of lease changed and a purpose built hall was a necessity.

The hall is at present managed by a committee of elected residents, it is not a local authority facility, while legal requirements apply, it is not restricted by the rules and regulations which apply to local authority premises. It is used regularly by the WRI, Young Farmers and the Sandford Carpet Bowling Club. It can be hired for social events, children's parties and is the centre for the annual village Hogmany Party.

The officers of the Management Committee are at present:

Chair:        Isobel Gray
Secretary: Roger Phayre
Treasurer: Keith Jackson

To hire the Hall - Apply to Ms Margaret Meikle on 01357 522269

This site is sponsored and managed by Sandford and Upper Avondale Community Council