Sandford and Upper Avondale Community Council

Image of Sandford School

Sandford School

Image of Waterside Hall

Waterside Hall

Image of Sandford Bridge

Sandford Bridge

Visiting Sandford


Sandford has always been a thriving community. In the early days the Romans passed through en route from Carstairs to the seaport of Irvine, leaving caches of coins at Chapleton, Torfoot Farm, Drumclog and in 1860 Roman graves were discovered at Craig Farm, Sandford.

In more recent times the prosperity of the Village and surroundings was based on agriculture and the local mills. Tweedie Mill was used for oatmeal production and grain drying. The nearby Spectacle E'e Mill which was destroyed by fire in the 18th Century, was a corn mill and cloth processing mill. The long vanished mill on the river Kype across from the Spectacle E'e was a weaving mill and later a Calico printing works.

Sandford school started life in what is now Sandford House. When it was declared inadequate, the new sandstone building complete with bell tower was opened in 1896. The flat roof extension was added post war and there may be further changes in the future.

Traffic of the day forded the river Kype before a hump back stone bridge was built in 1793. This was replaced by the metal bridge in 1909. Waterside Hall alongside the bridge was purpose built for the Bowlers in 1928. It was refurbished in 2001 with help of Lottery funding and hosted the Bowlers centenary celebrations in 2007.

The Village doubled in size in the immediate post-war years and again in recent years. New families have introduced new ideas and a continuing sense of community.

This site is sponsored and managed by Sandford and Upper Avondale Community Council